Saturday, February 18, 2006

sounds familiar...

I watched the movie version of "Fiddler on the Roof" yesterday...half of it actually. I like the way the story is being presented, it's like "Sound of Music" but it also has a tinge of "Mary Poppins" to it. Weird, out of the box and just plain refreshing.

What got to me while I was watching the movie was that some of the songs were vaguely familiar even though I have not seen the movie before and I have never listened to the OST. I also doubt that I heard it on the radio. In short, it's virtually impossible for me to have heard the songs before. The moment the song started playing and the actor's began singing, I felt that I've heard the tune they were singing before. It's not one of those familiar tunes that I would usually hear here in Manila since it sounded Russian or Turkish. Now that I think of it, I might have heard it before, but only played from some other instrument, considering that there are only 7 notes multiplied by X number of octaves, which result in N number of permutaions and probabilities as to the number in which these notes can be arranged.

It's amusing how something seems so familiar even when it's just new to me. Must be deja vu or something.

No comments: