Friday, February 24, 2006

my life...or my parents' second life

Guess what! I'm going to Beijing for the summer...It's not a leisure trip though. I'm going with the Lucio Tan and CKSC study tour group. I'll be in Beijing for a total of 50 days.

So, I've put a stop to all the job hunting business, since I won't be able to start anyways. So far, I've applied in about 5 ad agencies(2 of which are located abroad) and 3 multinational companies here in Manila and 1 airline company. Had 3 ad agency interviews and 1 from the airline company, but I turned down the airline company, simply because the office is way too far from home.

Sometimes, I just can't get what my parents are thinking...They wanted me to get a job in January, then they wanted me to go to Vancouver (which I really wanted in the first place), then my mom told me to get a job fast coz by March there will be another batch graduating which will make it harder for me to get a job...and then now, they want me to go to Beijing! How weird can they get! I'm pretty much tired from doing what they like instead of what I want. I'm also very much tired of hearing that whatever they have planned for me is always right...which makes me wonder now, are the plans and ideals that our parents have always right? They were born and raised in an entirely different society and era different from ours...Would what judgements they had before still remain true today? They always have these really conservative, sometimes erratic, and Chinese-type of ideas. Wait a sec...I am Chinese, but then, I don't think that way...well, yeah, I was bred in 3 different cultures in my 20 years of life. Does that affect how I think and what I believe in all that much? I guess it does in a way...I'm part of this overseas Chinese generation that is much younger, more liberal and more accepting of other cultures.

No comments: