Wednesday, December 28, 2005

holiday in Hong Kong

Am home! Got back last night.
Was welcomed by the rainy season here in Manila...then something so ludicrous happened. The plane ran out of the disembarkation card that was required for immigration purposes so I had to get one once I got off the plane…and guess what?? The airport was out of it too. Is the Philippines that poor as to not have the capacity to provide disembarkation cards for travelers? Anyways, someone came out with some after a while. Oh yeah…we waited in line for about 35 minutes and then 30 minutes more to get our baggage. While waiting, I saw a lot of the balikbayans from the US giving folded US$ to the customs and immigration officials and to the porters as well.

Imagine this, Filipinos(as in the native ones), obviously they look Filipino, and no doubt they carry Filipino blood, and me, the obviously foreign looking one with my Chinese looks. Each carrying a passport. The Filipino-looking one is carrying an American passport while I was carrying a passport bearing the word Pilipinas in front. Kind of weird, Filipinos being a foreigner in their own land…much like me when I go to China. Hahaha

Our flight was delayed by the way, because the plane from LA was delayed. It was delayed for 2 hours, so Candee and I walked and walked in the Hong Kong Airport, which by the way is by far, the best airport I've been too. It was voted the world's best airport actually. I saw a sign that said just that.

I've been to Hong Kong for about X number of times. I've lost track of it actually. But this city never fails to amaze me every time. Don't ask why...I won't be able to answer since the answer is something ineffable. The streets were full of people since it was the holidays, but the malls, shops and restaurants were open. A lot of clothes were on sale but didn't get to buy anything aside from jeans, coz everything was either too thick or long-sleeved.

We went to Disney on the first day. It was fun. The place was pretty nice, albeit small compared to the Disney in LA. Loads of people though due to the holidays. Would you believe tickets were sold out at 2:30 in the afternoon? Loved Philharmagic. I won't describe it. I might spoil it for people who haven't seen it. =) Loved Buzz Lightyears Astro blasters too. Scored 425000. Oh yeah!!! Didn't get to ride Space Mountain though...no one would go on the ride with me. Most rides and attractions had really long lines. Had to wait about 2 hours to get to ride The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. The ride was for kids...that's about all I can say. It was boring after a few minutes on the ride. Liked the Jungle River Cruise. It was exciting, but it was way too short. I wished they made it longer. The food being sold at the restaurants inside the park were not that overpriced. Rice toppings with soup and tea were sold at HKD40 each, but it was really satisfying. The servings were not too small either.

I have a feeling this post is going to be as long as my reaction papers in school if I go on. hahaha

No comments: